The MU Veterans Center is here to meet the needs and address the concerns of veterans at Mizzou. It's a designated place on campus where you can find camaraderie and friendship along with resources and support. Our office is staffed by a full-time MU employees and six VA work-study students who have worn — or are still wearing — the uniform.
The MU Veterans Center offers students and employees:
- A one-stop, free-standing center.
- A seamless approach to helping student veterans at MU, from admission to graduation.
- A resource for mentoring, tutoring, housing, financial and personal issues for MU students and employees.
- Assistance for families and spouses during deployments.
- Coordination of a network of health professionals with expertise in addressing the needs of veterans.
- A network of social support groups among veterans.
Come join us to get assistance with your VA educational benefits or just relax and watch our large flat-screen TV. Coffee is always hot, and discussions are usually lively.
The center is housed at N-5 Memorial Student Union in the very heart of campus, close to the Admissions and Financial Aid offices as well as personal and academic counseling centers. Full-time staff director Carol Fleisher run the center, working with six part-time VA work-study students who are former or current active-duty service members.
- Provide health and mental health referrals to the on-campus Truman VA Medical Center, specialists in the University Student Health Center, the University Counseling Center and the School of Medicine Department of Neurology.
- Assist with reintegration from the military to academia through coordination with:
- Student Success Center for academic assistance
- Mizzou Student Veterans Association for peer mentoring services
- Division of Enrollment Management for help with admissions, cashiers, financial aid and certification of veterans’ academic credit hours
- Department of Residential Life for assistance regarding housing issues
- Engage in outreach and recruitment of prospective student and employee veterans through a partnership with Columbia College, coordination with the State and Federal Tuition Assistance offices, bridging with the Veterans State Ombudsman and State Commission on Veterans Affairs, and partnering with the VFW, DAV and American Legion.
- Promote awareness of the campus climate for veterans through assessment and presentations to familiarize faculty, academic advisers and other staff with the unique needs and perspectives of veterans. In addition, the center has partnered with the Career Center and Disability Services on campus to sponsor in internship and to provide peer mentoring, counseling referrals and an empathic first point of contact for veterans. The Veterans Center, in conjunction with MU staff and representatives of the MSVA, has developed a course for student veterans entering MU to help them transition from the military to university life and to refresh their study skills.
Contact us to get started.
The Veterans Center was established in recognition that veterans are non-traditional students and employees who have non-traditional expectations and needs. It serves as a one-stop resource center committed to facilitating and coordinating the overall integration of veterans into our academic community.